1 bar Fels Naptha
1 1/2 cups of Washing Soda
1 1/2 cups of Borax
You'll need a cheese grater or a food processor if you have one. A pan big enough to hold 12 cups of water plus big enough to hold the 3 cups of powder mix. Measuring cups and a bowl. Also you'll need a large spoon like a wooden spoon or a long spatula. An old laundry detergent bottle. I use the one that has the button spout. You'll need a dust mask. And last but not least you'll need a 5 gallon bucket.
First put on your mask and grate the soap. I use the small side to make it fine and it melts faster. Put the soap into the pan and add 12 cups of water. Turn on to medium heat till melted.
Then add the powdered mix. Stir until dissolved.
Now you add 8 cups of hot water to the 5gal bucket. Now add the soap mix and keep stirring. Now add 2 gallons plus 12 cups or 3 quarts of water. Stir some more!
Now let the soap set for 24hrs. After 24 hrs stir again and it should be like a gel. Not exactly like the stuff that you get in regular laundry detergent but good enough. If yours doesn't gel up then I was told you can add half of another bar of soap the next time you make it. But mine works just fine! Now take and pour it in your laundry detergent bottle and pour a 1/2 cup for each load and 3/4 to 1 cup for larger loads. You can also add a few drops of your fav essential oil to make it smell better but I personally don't need that and I like the way it smells as it is.
Please do wear a mask b/c I didn't two times and my nose stung and from accidentally breathing it in.
Now for my next project. Home made hand soap!
2 comments:
I am so glad that you took pictures because I always for get as well. Next time somebody asks me I can just give them a link to you! :-)
I actually forgot to take pics the first two times I made it. I made sure I did it this time.Thanks for passing it on.
Many blessings!
Post a Comment